Sunday, October 17, 2010

Bridge Day in West Virginia

So this weekend I decided to accomplish another goal on my bucket list; to go see the Bridge Day Festival in Fayetteville, West Virginia at the New River Gorge Bridge which is the largest steel suspension bridge in the country. It was the biggest in the world until Japan made the largest. Oh well. But this festival was awesome! It would've been cooler if I had friends come with me but all mine were busy this Saturday so I went alone.
There were food stands everywhere! And the food was amazing. At least it smelled amazing. There were ribs and chili every 10 feet. They even had frozen, dipped in chocolate cheesecake on a stick. Now I truly understand why so many people in West Virginia are overweight. There was also free face painting with a Bible story. Lord haha...literally.
The best part of the festival though were the base jumpers. For all of you that don't know what base jumping is its when people jump off bridges with nothing but a parachute and after a few seconds of free falling they pull the parachute. It has to be the most incredible feeling ever. That's something I want to do someday. But over 100 people came to base jump at this festival. I was in complete awe. Two lanes of the road on the bridge were closed for people and the base jumpers. The other two lanes were for buses transporting the jumpers to the jumping platform. It was so much fun though. And everyone in West Virginia are so nice.
I really want to live out there one day. I don't know why for sure but I like the idea of having a lot of land and building my future house on it. I like the idea of being able to see my neighbors house in the distance but not being too close. I love the landscape out there and the fact that you can drive 70 mph on their highways. The only bad thing Rob pointed out was their school system sucks. But I'm sure there has to be a good school in the area. When I go land hunting I'll make sure to consider the school district. Other than that...it's perfect!
Well anyway, I totally recommend Bridge Day to anyone looking to have a good time the 3rd weekend of October every year. So much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment